What people said about AlicejustMay’s jam Golden Phone

9 Comments (since 31 Jan 2015)

4 years, 1 month ago

shiningsun2k

Truly infectious groove. Not even a little familiar, but I dig it.

4 years, 1 month ago

clickysounds

when I first got spotify... Micachu was one of my more surprising finds. Cool that they are getting some more exposure.

4 years, 1 month ago

clickysounds

was that movie any good? I think I have it in a watch list, but the ratings have kept me away for a while.

4 years, 1 month ago

marissapicone

Totally catchy :-)

4 years, 1 month ago

AlicejustMay

@clickysounds Yes, superb. I read the book, and - as Jonathan Glazer himelf said - it was trashy brilliance. The film is nothing like that; more a concept movie with very little dialogue. Mica Levi's soundtrack is integral, and there are a couple of scenes which the foley artist makes completely unforgettable. Johanssen is pretty much the only one who could play the part, I suspect. Also it was kind of mesmerising to see it taking place here in Glasgow and the surrounding Scottish countryside.

4 years, 1 month ago

MyBlueElephant

Excellent! Simply Excellent :)

4 years, 1 month ago

JohnRoux

Mica Levi is one of these understated geniuses. I saw Micachu and the Shapes live 5 years ago and they were so approachable, yet dedicated to their music. All the Kwesachu mixtapes and her very recent release (cassette-only, how sad in a way) are also brilliant and show a mastery and knowledge of practically all musical idioms of the day.

4 years, 1 month ago

AlicejustMay

@JohnRoux I know - I tried to get the cassette just for the download, but it comes as a bundle so I've had to simply put it on a 'wishlist' at boomkat. Right now I'm listening to Chopped and Screwed - their album with the London Sinfonietta. It's riveting. If this is what Glazer heard before commissioning her, I'm not surprised he chose her. It's exhilarating to be in the process of discovering her. The footage I've seen of them so far suggests exactly what you say: understated genuis.

4 years, 1 month ago

AlicejustMay

* to clarify, the cassette's sold out right now.