What people said about Astromonkey’s jam At Seventeen

22 Comments (since 19 Jan 2014)

alisonsghost

Its funny how many completely gorgeous women who never suffered from the slightest blip in their teenage lives weep buckets when they hear this song, so it obviously has a deep resonance..It is great but I always get the giggles on the line 'For those of us whose names were never called, While choosing sides at basketball...' where she dangles a toe in the water of bathos :) It makes a brilliant jam, though. Have you ever hear anything else she did btw?

Astromonkey

@alisonsghost Yes, I have most of her albums. Funny, but as a boy who was always among the last 2 to be picked for sports teams when at scool, that's a line that really resonates with me.

alisonsghost

@Astromonkey That's what's so ridiculous because no-one in their right mind ever chose me to be on their team for any sport! It's just a technical reaction to the way the lines sound, I think.This is the only song of hers I've ever heard, and I was wondering if she hadn't done much. I'll put her on my 'to listen' list. Interested to hear more.

Astromonkey

@alisonsghost I've got 13 albums, there may be more. Most from the 70's, then she disappeared until the early 90's. She also came out as lesbian at that time. Which adds another layer to this song I think.

zentopia7

this song sounds REALLY familiar to another song that I can't pin down, the melody is similar, lyrics.... not sure, but nice song

Astromonkey

@zentopia7 There is a vague similarity with The Girl From Impanema, as both use a samba rhythm.

lindatee

The bit about choosing sides for basketball made me laugh too - I was always bad a sport!!!! i did buy this though - think it struck a chord!!!

alisonsghost

@Astromonkey That's a lot of music. She must have been a bit frustrated that quite a lot of people didn't go beyond this song. As to coming out, probably being gay would be hell in that sort of school system. Being from the UK , US schools sound like rather difficult places to be yourself. Apologies to anyone from the US, though.

Salvadore

A sad song, but indeed wonderful! Great singer-songwriter.

Astromonkey

@alisonsghost I'd agree - certainly media gives the impression that American school life is hell if you don't fit in - Heathers, Mean Girls, Carrie, to name a few. And I think sports are taken much more seriously. As for being frustrated, probably, but that happens to a lot of artists.

Astromonkey

@lindatee I was terrible too, and I knew it and they knew it. Cross-country running was the worst!

Avante

You stole the word i was going to use. Wonderful!

philipnareike

@Astromonkey Very moving......fancy a run in the mud?

philipnareike

@Astromonkey Believe me.... I'd pick you for my team!

Astromonkey

@philipnareike Err..no. What about a wrestle in the mud instead?

Astromonkey

@philipnareike Even though I bat for the wrong side?

philipnareike

@Astromonkey I didn't think you liked cricket..what d'ya mean you don't like cricket?!

philipnareike

@Astromonkey I remember cross country...there was this really fat kid...always came in last...even the dwarf beat him!!

Astromonkey

@philipnareike Was this a school or a travelling show?

philipnareike

@Astromonkey I didn't grow up in a travelling circus you know! I thought every school had a dwarf...

Astromonkey

@philipnareike No, but you COULD have. We did have a dwarf actually. Sophie. Very bossy and you didn't mess with her. She couldn't 'alf leap across the desks quickly.

philipnareike

@Astromonkey I bet bet she was fun. David Welling was ours. Hey...You calling me a freak?!?