What people said about BertrandRustles’s jam Back Door Man

28 Comments (since 3 Apr 2015)

TheGreatValerio

Hahaa, I daresay @HarryFlowersOBE will tell you why you're wrong to try

kfarrnd

The case can certainly be made that there was a lot of marketing bluster from Jim Morrison that may have made these guys bigger than they should be. I've always been a big fan, but certainly appreciate the opinion of those that aren't. This is definitely one of their best tunes in my opinion and one that isn't over played on the radio here in the U.S. A fine jam, Mr. Rustles.

BertrandRustles

@kfarrnd Cheers. I don't like to knock any music and I'm not, of course it's just my opinion, I do try with them regularly and certainly there are tracks that blow my mind such as The End and the more obvious beauties like Light My Fire. I just remain somewhat unconvinced. Having said that, I was unconvinced by Hendrix for 30 years and now bow down to his awesomness so... The issue may well be with me :)

BertrandRustles

@TheGreatValerio Haha, and that's a man with taste!

brianberrington

Got to say l like them, great jam.

BarneyRubble

@BertrandRustles I'm in the same boat as you with regard to The Doors. Several seminal tracks that I love, but I think I was put off in my youth by someone ditzy that lived and breathed Doors (and still does funnily enough). Admire your perseverence

BertrandRustles

@BarneyRubble Cheers fella. It's a problem I have, believing the issue is with me rather than the band, so I like to keep at it just in case it 'clicks' one day and I 'get it'. It did happen for me with Hendrix and I now am sad about all of the years I could have been playing air guitar along with him and didn't, so, I HAVE to keep trying :)

ian38018

Have always wondered just exactly what a back-door man is/was. It has all manner of unsavoury sexual connotations.

BertrandRustles

@ian38018 I always thought that Willie Dixon was referring to his ability to get free sausages by visiting his local butcher by the 'back door' and singing them a brief number. However, here's what seems to be the actual explanation: "In southern culture, the phrase "back-door man" refers to a man having an affair with a married woman, using the back door as an exit before the husband comes home". Any sexual connotations you imagine are more than likely due to the way your brain works :)

AFJM_

I fucking love The Doors. My fave band. Soft Parade is my fave song. I got into them when I was 13, lad I knew had Soft Parade on vinyl, loves it. Went home, asked my Dad if he liked The Doors, he said yes and handed over The Doors, Waiting for the Sun, Morrison Hotel and LA Woman. Never looked back.

BertrandRustles

@AFJM_ You see, THIS is my problem, when people who's opinion I value hugely say this I know I HAVE to keep trying. It makes no sense that I can't hear it. I'll keep at it fella.

EljM

@BertrandRustles I loved The Doors when I was 18. They were intoxicating and exciting to me. Their musical appeal waned with time and maturity (arguable, I know). The most interesting thing in this thread is how you GOT Hendrix. I'm still not there with him. And I feel I'm missing out. Off topic, sorry. I need a Hendrix for beginners tutorial. If you can DM me some starter tracks I'd be hugely grateful.

BertrandRustles

@EljM It wasn't so much specific tracks that helped me turn a corner, it was much more about gaining an understanding of the man, just how incredibly talented and unique a thinker he was musically. I watched a few documentaries, the Classic Album series on Electric Ladyland was interesting. I watched quite a bit of concert footage and eventually I just kind of fell in love with him I guess. Now, when I listen to tracks like All Along The Watchtower or Crosstown Traffic or Hey Joe,

BertrandRustles

@EljM the predictable ones to a great extent, I just hear them in a different way. I FEEL his guitar like I never did before. It's great when this happens, I love it. This is exactly why I never give up on anyone :)

21schizoid

I was convinced by The Doors combo a looooong time ago. Fuckin' love 'em (French) and hence, this Jam. Wonderful...

paulgdaly

@BertrandRustles I jammed the Doors a while back. Here's my take: Five Stages of the Doors One: Youngster discovers the Doors, pronounces them “cool”, blu-tacks Jim Morrison poster on wall. Two: Young Adult, annoyed by Morrison's pretensions, begins to have doubts. Takes down poster, when girlfriend continues to focus on it during sex. Three: The Door-less decades, Morrison dismissed as “youthful indiscretion”. Cue snide comments/rueful head shaking, when they come on the radio. Continued 1/2

paulgdaly

@BertrandRustles Four: Older, wiser, finds old Doors records, plays them. Discovers much to like, except those tracks where Morrison remains a pretentious tit. Five: Mature adult realizes whole feckin’ thing was amazing cosmic joke, Morrison pulling our collective pud. Puts framed $1500 Morrison litho in study. Plays “Morrison Hotel”. Pronounces it “cool”.

BertrandRustles

@paulgdaly Hahaha. Absolute class there sir. In a nutshell. Not quite sure where I fit into that though :-/

DavidLewis

Try some Jim-free Doors, maybe? http://t.thisismyjam.com/DavidLewis/_9vepurz

DavidLewis

Try some Jim-free Doors, maybe? http://t.thisismyjam.com/DavidLewis/_9vepurz

DavidLewis

So good I decided to mention it twice. *cough*

BertrandRustles

@DavidLewis Haha. FOR EMPHASIS.

Phyl

Kinda in sympathy with you BR except for the 'average combo' part. I'm with @DavidLewis, tho some of their Morrison tracks are pretty awesome too. One of my favourites that's often overlooked is https://youtu.be/-DTj_KLqp_s

rickydicky49

I'm a sucker for that keyboard sound!

ian38018

@BertrandRustles Ah Yes - "the way my brain works" - that would explain a lot. :-)

BeeBee

Hey @BertrandRustles I've always said that Jim Morrison was a bell end who got in the way of some outstanding musicians!

edfinn

The Doors are the Doors -- sometimes over the years I've loved them, sometimes hated 'em. Now, I look at it song by song, and this is a good one. Nice jam.

BertrandRustles

@Phyl True. That's a good track.