What people said about leejohnson’s jam Wuthering Heights

19 Comments (since 12 Jan 2014)

leejohnson

This was the first song Bush recorded for any label. It was released as a single in February 1978, and, while the music press dismissed the song as a novelty, it hit No. 1 in Britain. It stayed there for 4 weeks and launched her career at the age of 19. It was indeed a huge hit everywhere - except in the USA (for the record, it registered No. 108 there). This is the way it has remained for Bush, who has never been able to break the US market.

leejohnson

She started playing the piano at 11 years old, and had written her first song by the age of 13. When it came to recording her first album, she had about 50 songs to choose from, but this wasn't one of them. She came up with it shortly before recording the album, and claims she wrote the song in one night under a full moon. Bush recorded her vocal late one night, doing two or three takes from which producer Andrew Powell chose the best.

leejohnson

Her label, EMI, actually wanted to release "James and the Cold Gun" as her first single, believing that radio stations wouldn't play this song because it sounded "too odd". When Kate found out, she insisted that "Wuthering Heights" be released first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuthering_Heights_%28song%29

Gummi

Can't help but share this (song starts around the 1 min mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnG5iLR9g9k

leejohnson

@Gummi A quite impressive cover - all the more difficult for a guy! By the way, some of the comments on the YouTube page claim he's singing "falsetto" (that's a way of bypassing the vocal chords to cheat on high notes). It's not. That's part of his top range, and he doesn't duck out and workaround it. I challenge him to perform that song more than twice in one day though! He'll not have a long singing career if he does.

ian38018

@polly7923 I can recall the first time I saw this. STV played the video (before the song was a hit) to fill in 5 minutes just before the 10 o'clock News, I think it was. This in the era way before music vids were everywhere. A real WTF moment.

lynn200

you beat me to it,,my fave Kate. good friend in the early 70s in deep Ladbroke gr,Kathy, her over active son (on medication),yeh of course ,named Healthcliffe* i always wonder what happened to those kids... superb track,jam envy:)

Steve_Marshall

For me this is one of the best songs of all the time. Incredible.

nangeanarendra

thanks for great jam

christineb

You hit it out of the park on this. Love Kate and this song is perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

mikelowe

"Like" just isn't appropriate for Kate!!!

McRaul55

I love Kate!

jovisgoesnuts

Yes I am still in love with Kate Bush! Aren't we all? Great jam.

leejohnson

@jovisgoesnuts Strange. I wasn't much impressed with her back in 1978, either her music or looks. Things change. ;)

jovisgoesnuts

@leejohnson I think we change. Our tastes mature as we get older, and I guess we become more eclectic as it were.

btener

such a glorious song!

nangeanarendra

thanks for following my jams--will share great jams

gbaker

this is my jam for life!

leejohnson

@gbaker Look in your settings. You could choose it as your 'Eternal Jam' (look at the bottom middle of your Jam page - mine is Howard Jones' latest offering, not available for download anywhere else).